What To Do
In Your Spare Time
BY SANDRA KITT
CONFERENCE PUBLICITY COORDINATOR
Actually, there is no shortage of ways to entertain yourself and occupy your free time while in Myrtle
Beach in October. The heavy summer season crowds will be gone, and the beach community will be only a
week away from celebrating Halloween! Pretty much all of the area attractions will be operating, except for
miniature golf. NINC members will be able to enjoy dozens of restaurants, lively nightlife entertainment, cultural
activities and historic sites, specialty stores and boutiques, and much more.
We’re arranging for each attendee to get a local entertainment planning guide, along with a VIP discount
card to many of the area attractions, especially designated for NINC members.
You can always scout out the specific local details by going to the Visit Myrtle Beach website at
http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/?cid=g_destination_mb for more details. But, to cut to the chase, here is a
short list of venues that might be of particular interest to conference attendees:
- The South Carolina Hall of Fame honors contemporary and past citizens who have made outstanding contributions
to the state’s heritage.
- Brookgreen Gardens, a National Historical Landmark, is home to more than 1400 works by 350 sculptors
from the 19th Century to the present. Visitors also can join overland and boat tours of the Low-country
History and Wildlife Preserve, containing thousands of acres of native plants and animals.
- Hopsewee Plantation, a South Carolina National Historic Landmark, is a preservation rather than a restoration
- Owned by only five families, it was built 60 years before the revolutionary war.
- Hobcaw Barony is a 17,500-acre wildlife refuge owned by the non-profit Belle W. Baruch Foundation.
- L.W. Paul Historical Farm — The farm provides visitors with the opportunity to observe and participate
in activities that would have been commonplace on traditional family farms in Horry County from 1900–1955.
- Battleship NORTH CAROLINA — Visitors can walk the decks and learn more about daily life on board
and the fierce combat her crew faced in the Pacific Theatre during World War II.
- Art & Soul, an Artisan Gallery, is located in the heart of Myrtle Beach, in Rainbow Harbor, and features
artists of batik, blown glass, folk art, fused glass, jewelry, metal works, oil paintings, painted glass, photography,
pottery, silkscreen, wood carvings, and more!
- La Belle Amie Vineyard is an operating vineyard open to the public located in the Grand Strand area.
TOC -> Page 14 ->